The Pros and Cons of Betting on eSports Without Self-ExclusionPoligon
Betting on esports is exciting, dynamic, and often lucrative for gamblers who understand the topic. However, as with any gambling, irresponsible gambling can lead to problems. Thus, more than 1% of the population has some kind of betting addiction.
Operators are working on this problem because they cannot get a license without it. One of the methods of combating gambling addiction is self-exclusion, which is applied in case of pronounced problems. Today, we will consider the pros and cons of the program and other options to protect yourself.
What is Self-Exclusion?
Self-exclusion is a tool that allows players to set limits on their bets or completely disconnect from gambling. It is a kind of "safety valve" for those who understand the importance of control.
How does it work in eSports betting? It is simple. The player sets a period of absence or determines the maximum bet amount for a certain period. The radicality of actions and the period depend on the existing problems. Interestingly, it is impossible to cancel the activation - it will last as long as you choose. The fact is that in the case of addiction, the desire to return immediately arises, so such a "free" system would not work. The program will block gambling platforms even if you uninstall the application from the device.
The Pros of Betting Without Self-Exclusion
Esports betting is quite diverse. Some bettors choose sports sites without GamStop from NonGamStopBetting, and there are several reasons for this:
- Freedom and accessibility. You can choose any bookmaker and play at your convenience. You can register in a few clicks, after which you can see all available eSports events and place bets.
- Flexibility in bets. You can choose any strategy and experiment with approaches without any restrictions. It's like a chess game where you can adapt to changes by instantly adjusting your plan. Moreover, modern bookmakers offer so many betting options.
It means you are not dependent on anything and do not need to think about bypassing the blocking.
The Risks and Cons
Without a safety net, the risk of addiction increases. Continuous access to matches often leads to losing control over one's actions. It contributes to financial and mental problems. Why? Essentially, the player has no time to stop and evaluate his actions from the outside. They also lose their sense of time.
Responsible Betting Practices
Here are some tips on how to maintain a healthy balance when betting on esports:
- Knowledge. Don't neglect the rules - always study the specifics of the games you are betting on. Without this, it is impossible to make an informed decision and, accordingly, win money.
- Limits and budget. Self-limitation is the key to responsible betting, especially, as it is emphasised in Rob Davies’ article on credit card betting, when it comes to using plastic. Bet only the amount you will lose and stick to this budget.
- Understand probabilities. Assess the chances of winning and possible risks. Give preference to intelligent bets based on analysis rather than emotions.
- Risk distribution. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Distribute your bets between different teams or gaming events to reduce potential losses.
- Setting goals. Define your goals and expectations. Betting is entertainment, not a way to get rich. Be realistic.
- Pauses and rest. Take breaks between bets. It will allow you to keep a clear mind and avoid impulsive decisions.
- Social support. Share this hobby with friends or community members. Other points of view will balance your own decisions.
- Time management. Set a period that you are willing to spend on betting.
- Tracking the results. Check your analytics regularly to work on mistakes.
Maximum enjoyment is available only with responsibility. You can do without self-exclusion programs, but you must constantly work on self-control.
Alternatives to Self-Exclusion
We have already talked about certain practices, such as limits, and this is a good alternative. But don't discount self-exclusion. That’s an effective system, but the most popular one, GamStop, is frightening with its restrictions. However, there are many non-British sites, and they cooperate with others, such as Gamban or NetNanny. And you can choose the one that suits you. Their main difference from the British one is shorter blocking periods. A month is enough for some, and these guys give you this opportunity.
If you have noticed unusual behaviour, we recommend seeking professional help. For example, the international community Gamblers Anonymous provides confidential support and organises meetings for those struggling with gambling addiction. The National Council on Problem Gambling also offers resources and similar assistance.
The Role of eSports Betting Sites
Operators' responsibilities include:
- Informing players. Each participant should be aware of the rules and conditions of betting and possible risks.
- Control tools. Bookmakers provide control tools, such as self-exclusion or setting breaks in the game to maintain healthy habits.
- Support and consultations. The website should have round-the-clock support and provide resources for professional psychological assistance.
That’s the only way to create a fair and safe esports environment.
First, choose a reliable website with a license, protection, and a robust information campaign. It is half the battle against gambling addiction, and the other half depends on you. Above, we have considered ways to play responsibly, with and without self-exclusion. Choose the ones that are convenient for you and enjoy esports ongoing events without unnecessary risks.