When esports fans take a look at the site liquipedia.net, they will understand who developed and the resource and why. The emblem and the name of the site are references to the name of multigaming esports organization Team Liquid, the winner of International 2017.
The resource liquipedia.net, founded by the Dutch, designed to give information about esports disciplines. The site represents an encyclopedia of the world of video games containing different information about twenty three disciplines.
The site functions as Wikipedia in the esports world which is stated on the main page of the resource. Anyone who wants can contribute to development of the site or donate some money into its development, or after signing up changing the page regarding any sphere of computer games. «Made by the esports community for the esports community» is their moto adorning the main page of the site.
Exploring the site liquipedia.net, we can say that this resource fully covers information about all the esport tournaments. However, there are loose ends. Observing information about Dota 2 teams, we can see that the information is given disparately. For instance, if you explore the page of Team Secret, a user of the site gets vast information about the history of the team starting with the first step and moving to the current time, while on the page of Virtus.pro the information is given roughly and briefly. Som fans of the European team have more fans that the native aces. But the reason of the situation is likely to pertain to the fact that Russian speaking fans have more difficulties in filling the page in English than Europeans.
Strusture of the site liquipedia.net
On the main page we can see three main sections:
- Additional elements in the top right-hand corner – serve for transfer to additional resources with the help of using five links;
- Field for searching request words;
- Cards with named of computer games which could be pressed to get familiar with a part of the encyclopedia, devoted to any of the games;
Guide to work with the site
Top right-hand corner:
- https://tl.net – official site of the organization Team liquid, where you can get familiar with news of all the teams of the organization, no matter what discipline they participate in;
- https://www.liquiddota.com – resource devoted to the official Dota 2 team of Team Liquid, news connected with it and also preparation for the main tournament of the year – The International 2019 scheduled for August in Shanghai;
- https://www.liquidlegends.net – resource devoted to the League of Legends team of the organization;
- https://masterleague.net – resource devoted to Heroes of the Storm tournaments;
- https://drawtwo.gg – devoted to Dota heroes from the game. Recourse tells about artifacts and promotes Dota card game.
In the left part you need to choose a game you want to have the search in. By default, this field has Dota 2 set. Or you can skip choosing a game setting the option «Commons».
Cards with games on liquipedia.net
As it has been mentioned, at the moment the site liquipedia.net represents 23 esports discipline where we can highlight the most popular ones: Dota 2, CS:GO, Overwatch, Лига Леген, Rainbow 6 and other games.
Page of the chosen game contains the following information:
- Players – pressing the link, you go to the page where you can choose players depending on geographical position (North America, South America, Europe, China, South Asia) or depending on the team the players belongs to (more than fifty most popular teams). Besides, users can follow the link to see the list of blocked players and rating of professional Dota 2 players;
- Teams – there is a list of the main teams region-wise (North America, South America, Europe, The CIS, China, Southeast Asia). Moreover, there is a list of disqualified or disbanded Dota 2 teams;
- Tournaments – divided into recent, new, Major, Minor, month, week, there is also a field «to show matches», and the field «qualification». Also there are held and upcoming tournament which are going to take place in the nearest time;
- Transfer – there is information about players moving from teams to teams. Besides, there are notes about resting players who finished their careers. You can learn more not only about the newest information but also with the data since 2012;
- Statistics portal – here you can see information with different indicators of teams since 2012. Here you can see the total sum of earned money by teams, how often they got the first, the second and the third places at different tournaments and also the same information about individual players. It is also interesting that there are the youngest and the oldest players who have ever participated in Dota 2 tournaments, structured into lists. Apart from them, there is a list of teams who earned the biggest sums of prize money with dates when the tournament was held, name, country, quantity of contestants, winners, and teams taking the second place at the tournaments International 2014 – 2019, and the seventh place is taken by Dota 2 Asia Championship 2015, held in Shanghai, the city where the most important tournament of the season is to happen in August. Also there is a link to the statistics of Heroes and Artefacts;
- Patches – the last point where description of a big number of patches for the game is given and also links for downloading game versions.
Tournaments – the most precious content on liquipedia.net
This is the detailed description of esports tournaments which makes liquipedia.net precious for the esports community. The content of every separate tournament is designed in a very detailed way. Here we have exhaustive information about an event:
- Holding dates and city;
- Logo, sponsors of the tournament and the sum of the prize pool;
- Links to all casters of a tournament;
- Description and format;
- Teams and schedule of matches;
- Qualifiers, tournament brackets, group rounds;
- Livescore and immediate update of match results.
Cards of games offered to be filled
The site developers offer to fill cars for six more games where Fortnite, Apex Legends, Quake and others are presented. The site is going to expand, get more funding with the help of sponsors and donations of users of the site.
The site liquipedia.net is still in the rough stages. We can suppose that without big financial and time investments it will be difficult to transform it into real game Wiki. Despite the big plans, it still falls behind from analogue sites and it is likely to be improved by Team Liquid only. In this case the site will not get proper development. Combination of white and black colors is meager and doesn’t make users want to spend a lot of time on the resource, so the interface is not welcoming. There is little photo content (we can say it is absent). The general information is given with the links to other sites. We can only hope that in the future modernization of the design will get more attention as black and white tones are not suitable for such a bright game as Dota 2.