E-sports - the future of entertainment?Poligon
E-sports as a genre has had a truly heroic journey. Who would have believed just a few years ago that gamers would become true superstars and be regularly cheered on by an audience of millions?
E-sports is not a regional, but a global phenomenon that is unrivalled. The prize money is as enormous as the sponsorship contracts for the best players and teams. Are e-sports the future of the entertainment industry and is the current development just the start of something big? It is worth taking a closer look at the dynamics, the potential and the many challenges of e-sports. This will give people who are less familiar with the trends a better insight into this fascinating phenomenon that is currently taking the world by storm.
How does e-sports position itself within the entertainment industry?
E-sports should not simply be understood as gaming, just as new slots are not simply digital machines. Of course, certain games and leagues form the basis for e-sports, but e-sports must be viewed more at the interface between gaming and professional sport. The best proof of this is the players themselves. Their careers are not only based on enormous talent, but also on perseverance, daily training and excellent marketing. Behind every superstar in the industry is a well-organised team that leaves nothing to chance. Every step has to be carefully planned - after all, there are large sums of money at stake. It is therefore not surprising that more and more established sports clubs, including in Germany, are showing an interest in e-sports and setting up their own teams.
E-sports events take place in the largest halls worldwide. Ticket prices are high and those who want to watch the games live via streaming also have to dig deep into their pockets. The question arises as to whether this form of entertainment can be seen as a supplement to traditional programmes or whether they will be replaced by e-sports in the near future. Experts find it difficult to categorise e-sports in the canon. The developments are probably still too recent, and the potential is far from exhausted. The markets in Asia are far ahead of those in Europe and North America.
What games are we actually talking about?
There is hardly a game that is not suitable for e-sports today. Of course, there are certain variants that are predestined to compete against international opponents in large arenas. Perhaps some players have already gained experience with one of these games themselves. If you want to rekindle your passion, you don't have to dig out your console again, but can buy a streaming ticket for one of the upcoming events. The events include tournaments based on the following games:
- Counter Strike - CS, as this game is often abbreviated, is considered the forefather and best-known representative of all first-person shooters. In this game, teams compete against each other with the aim of eliminating the opponent in virtual space.
- League of Legends - LoL is one of the most popular games in the world. Millions of fans not only enjoy the game itself, but also the characters. There are now figures, films and even novels based on these game worlds. This shows once again the financial potential of e-sports.
- Fortnite - Fortnite is a global phenomenon that is particularly popular with young players from the social media generation. Fortnite is a so-called battle royale game, it is often chaotic and everyone competes against everyone else.
- Dota 2 - Dota 2 is considered a particularly complex game that demands a lot from its players. Those who prove themselves in this game have conquered a steep learning curve. So it's not just talent that is decisive in this game, it's much more than that. Dota2 is sometimes so complex that spectators do not really understand at the beginning what the goal of a round is and how it can be achieved. However, if you are interested in complex things, you will love this game and the leagues that have built up around it.
- Overwatch - Overwatch is one of the newer representatives. If you want to prove yourself in this game, you have to combine both strategy and lightning-fast reflexes.
The economic potential decides
Where the path leads will ultimately be decided by the economic opportunities that open up in the future. The question is how viewers who have no great interest in gaming can be won over to free casino games on the big screen and other variants.
If we want to draw a conclusion about e-sports, we can definitely say that e-sports are definitely the future and that this genre will penetrate the mass media to an even greater extent. This industry may complement other traditional forms of entertainment, but it will certainly not replace them. So no one need fear that their favourite formats will disappear; they will continue to exist in the future. Diversity in entertainment and in the media world is important, which is why it is always necessary to discuss how this diversity can be preserved and even increased.